Skip to main content

Louisville Pure Tap 5k Race Report *My First Top Ten!*

I know what you're thinking. You thought race season was over. So did I. But a $20 5k that last year just so happened to be my first race in nearly 2 years had other plans. Here's a couple of things you need to know...

  1. Today is my first day off since last Saturday which means I worked a 6 day work week.

  2. I also logged somewhere around 60 hours of work this week that was highly concentrated on one day.

  3. Prior to this race I'd logged about 37 training miles (almost all on the bike so don't get all excited)

  4. Friday night before the race (granted, "only" a 5k) I slept for less than 6 hours.

  5. I recognize none of this is particularly extraordinary but for me, it's a big deal.


So, back to the point. I woke up feeling completely terrible and seriously considering just eating the $20 and going back to bed. But this was going to count as my workout for the day which I wanted to do anyway so I decided to suck it up. Actually, that's a lie. I was going to go back to sleep but then The Colonel who was also running got out of bed I knew I was sunk. I drug myself along and somehow made it into the car with my clothes and bib on. We parked and then walked up to the Yum! where I checked my coat. We snapped a quick pic and I danced alone to keep myself awake until the start.


I feel much like I look in this picture, kinda terrible.


We went into the chute for the start and for some reason everyone except for like 10 people got behind us. I could literally see the timing mats at the start. I had no business being that close to the front, especially not in my state. I tried to scoot back but there was a small army of already complaining walkers behind me (Disclaimer: I don't think all walkers are complainers. However, when there is inclement weather such as a cold slightly rainy morning like today, I've come across a lot of complainy walkers. If you are a walker, please consult your fellow clansmen and bring back the proud history of the walker). They also kept repeating that they didn't know why people were taking it so seriously because it wasn't a race. That attitude irritates me. I use the word "race" loosely because I know that I'll never be actually racing, winning or beating anyone but I do have a different attitude for a race and it's an attitude of wanting to do well. I didn't let them bother me and focused more on staying awake and on not focusing on how tired my legs were from work the night before.


Before I knew it they shot the gun which is really loud at the front of the pack. I fist bumped The Colonel and never saw him again until we were done. I moved to the right because I knew I was about to get passed big time. I made the first turn about 100 meters after the start and ran straight uphill onto the bridge. Ugh, I hate bridges. That's why I've never loved racing in Cincinnati. Anyway up I went and there was a turn around after about a half mile. It was weird to still be towards the front and not see hoards and hoards of people heading in the opposite direction after the turn around. I wasn't by the front by any means and after the turn around I think we all started to warm up because the masses arrived. Then I watched them leave. I came back down the hill and off the bridge, made another sharp turn and went down another hill back under the bridges. There wasn't a mile marker until mile 2 which I hit around 21 minutes. I felt ok but not great but was happy with my time so far. I was hoping to do another 9:59 average like I did in the first part of the Komen 10k but knew that wasn't terribly realistic. This was a very unremarkable, uneventful run which is generally how they should be I've found. There was one more big climb to get out from under the bridges then just a straight shoot of about 5 blocks to the finish. I crossed the finish fully exhausted, not from the run really but I just wanted to go to bed. The Colonel snapped a great picture to indicate how I felt.



Eyes closed, half smile, wandering through the finish chute...


I went home and crashed for a few hours then woke up and checked out my results. And that's when I had to get on and write about this for you all! I had a really nice run topped off with *drumroll please* my first Top 10 Age Group finish! It wasn't a huge race but I'm proud! Check it out! 354 total participants and 235 women.






































Name:Rennay CookeDivision:F 20-24City, State:Louisville, KY
Bib:3318Division Place:7Total Division:25
Age:24Gender:FGender Place:69
Overall Place:129Chip Time:34:01Pace:10:54/M

Comments

  1. I love this. I'm glad it went so well! Also, that is my new favorite finish line photo!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Hate the Ironman

I figure it's about time to put this out there and I'm pretty sure if you know me really well, you won't be surprised by any of what I have to say. I've been having a lot of issues lately. I've been working hard with my counselor to determine who I really am and what brings me true joy in life and it's been surprising, frustrating, difficult, fun, exhausting, enlightening, exciting and hard....to sum it up in a few words. I spent some time in Puerto Rico back in March and finally got back into doing some writing while I was out there. It wasn't anything long and certainly not anything particularly newsworthy but it made me feel good. I enjoy writing. When I was young I used to write short fiction stories on my mom's computer whenever I had free time and though a lot of them remained unfinished, they were always fun for me and surprisingly effortless to compose. Blogging has never quite been the same as my true writing and I've been working hard t

Lovin the Hills Race Report

Guess what I did this weekend??? I was a very good girl and asked my coach very nicely if I could please please please do the Lovin' the Hills 6 mile trail race and because he's the best he gave me the green light to participate . So, I did my very first trail race on Saturday! I'm not necessarily a stranger to trails but I definitely wouldn't say we're friends. Trail running goes on the same list as all of those really great athletes I "know" and am Facebook friends with and want to be able to be real friends with but I'm too intimidated to try. You know what I mean right? Anyway, I've run trails before and volunteered at many a trail race but I've never actually "raced" myself so this was going to be a fun new experience. The site wasn't far from my house and since I'd waited to sign up for various reasons, I didn't have to get up too too early to get there in time for race day registration. I drove to Jeffer

Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure 10K Race Recap

Wow, what a title right? Although I also could have titled it the greatest race of my life. Wanna know why? Yeah I thought you might. The week leading up to the race wasn't a great one. Stress at work, general grumpiness etc. etc. etc. So I really wasn't expecting much as far as performance but I wanted to get a 10K in really badly before the marathon relay this Saturday so I thought What the hell and signed up. The atmosphere at Komen events is like none other. Pink everywhere and people....so...many...people. For someone who hates crowds (i.e. ME) there are few things that will lure me to a crowded place. Races just tend to be one of those things. Anyway, there was a great survivors parade and all kinds of booths and music and general funness. What there wasn't plenty of was parking. Which I guess is the norm for an event of this caliber. Survivors' Parade Great Ladies I never got the chance to meet... Seriously packed at the start! Autumn Alexis, The Colonel and I g