Skip to main content

Scrooge is a 24 Year Old Woman

Let's play the honest game. Honestly, I don't like holidays. The only thing I like about holidays is that I don't have to work. I am a creature of habit and my biggest flaw is likely that I'm inflexible.  I really don't like anything that disrupts my routine and holidays are the biggest disrupters of all! There's no mail, stores are closed, my eating schedule is altered, sometimes the gym is closed, sometimes the outdoor running paths are busy, I decide to take naps. In general, things get weird. It's also safe to say that I have food issues. Not like eating disorder issues, just general issues. First of all, I don't eat meat (obviously) so days when we celebrate the mass slaughter of indigenous peoples with the mass slaughter of genetically altered turkeys aren't really my idea of fun. Secondly, I don't like to overeat. Especially not now that I've gotten things under control more with my weight more or less. Something about holidays encourage people to push food into your face at all times and I hate that. If you've read my tagline you also know that I'm a honey-eating vegan. I'm not a vegan. I consume a lot of honey and occasionally cheese. But I don't eat eggs which means I also don't bake with eggs. Holidays are full of baked goods which are then pushed into your face and I have to say "No thank you" which leads to questions and I either have to explain that I'm watching my weight (which never goes over well) or that I don't eat eggs which inevitable leads to the "What do you eat?" questions. That question runs wild starting November 1st and through New Year's. "You don't eat meat? At all? What about on Thanksgiving? Do you at least eat turkey? What about ham? What about a roast? What about meatloaf? What about *insert any other type of meat here*?" It gets exhausting. Particularly because it's not like I meet a slew of new people every year. A lot of them are repeats. Do you really think I'm going to say, "Well you know what? After last year when you told me it was a sin not to eat a roasted yet still actively rotting carcass that you set in the middle of the table and put on my plate anyway I decided that this year I'm still not eating meat but turkey/ham/meatloaf is ok." That's not going to happen. Even as a little omnivorous girl I never liked turkey and generally had a plate full of cranberry sauce, mac and cheese and bread. Unfortunately my experience isn't just limited to Thanksgiving but I also get it throughout the Christmas season. *sigh* Thus, I am a Scrooge. I love Christmas music and will play it Thanksgiving night. I like putting up my Christmas tree and have even been known to cruise around random neighborhoods looking at lights. I considered (and am still considering) getting Armani a Christmas dress. I bought TJ a Santa hat one year. It didn't go well but he was my only kid at the time and had to suffer through it. I am two-thirds finished with my Christmas shopping already. I love giving gifts and can't stand keeping secrets and tell everyone what I'm getting everyone else. So why do I proclaim a hatred of holidays. Simply for my food issues. Regardless of my personal feelings, I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving and holiday season! Stay tuned for a picture of Armani's inevitable Christmas pageant dress.

But now that that's over. Here are some pictures from the past couple of days. I'm getting good at remembering to photo-document my life for your viewing pleasure.

Autumn and I went to JoAnn's to find a knitting machine (?) for my mom for Christmas. We have no idea what a knitting machine is but while perusing the aisles we came across two of the most terrible stamps I'd ever seen. One was a stamp for a kid's birthday but included on the stamp was some other kid's name. Bizarre. The other was a label. Just a stamp of a label...also bizarre.





We then journeyed over to Kroger where we found two of the biggest sweet potatoes EVER. GMO's much?



Yesterday we went for a run, outside, in shorts and a tshirt, the week of Thanksgiving. I was happy for the run and the weather but bummed that's it's not cold for Thanksgiving like it should be. You all don't know this yet, but I love winter. And last winter fell in love with snowboarding. And only got to go once because it never really got cold last winter. Sad face. Fingers crossed for this year.



And since no post is complete without a picture of my dog. Here's how she tucks her cute little back feet when she lays down.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Hate the Ironman

I figure it's about time to put this out there and I'm pretty sure if you know me really well, you won't be surprised by any of what I have to say. I've been having a lot of issues lately. I've been working hard with my counselor to determine who I really am and what brings me true joy in life and it's been surprising, frustrating, difficult, fun, exhausting, enlightening, exciting and hard....to sum it up in a few words. I spent some time in Puerto Rico back in March and finally got back into doing some writing while I was out there. It wasn't anything long and certainly not anything particularly newsworthy but it made me feel good. I enjoy writing. When I was young I used to write short fiction stories on my mom's computer whenever I had free time and though a lot of them remained unfinished, they were always fun for me and surprisingly effortless to compose. Blogging has never quite been the same as my true writing and I've been working hard t

Marathon Bucket List

I know the title can be misleading so to clarify, this is a bucket list of marathons I'd like to run. Not just a really long bucket list. I'm keeping it to a top 10 because any list longer than 10 is just too long. This post was inspired by my new blog friend Eat Pray Run DC . If you haven't read her blog, you should, because it's prettier than mine. Anyway, here we go, in no particular order... 1. Marine Corps Marathon People who have run it never shut up about it so it must be great. Plus it's in DC and hello, Marines. Ooo rah. via 2. New York City Marathon Since I was born in New York and lived there for a bit it holds quite a place in my heart. It's another one of those epic races people can never say enough good things about. My only hesitation is that I'll really need to get over that thing I have about bridges. (get it? "get over"...bridges...) via 3. Boston Marathon - as a charity runner of course Let's get one th

A Sad Announcement

It is with a very heavy heart that I make an announcement. Because this is where I spend so much time recapping my races and weight loss struggles and successes, it seems that this is where the announcement needs to be made. I told The Colonel earlier this evening when I got home from school close to tears and I need to make it official before I change my mind. I will not be doing an olympic triathlon this year. Sounded much more serious than that, didn't it? Well all joking aside, it is serious to me. In my mind, I'm now a quitter. I'm a wimp. I'm giving up on my goals and soon will start giving up on all of them. This isn't the case of course but for now it's really hard for me to be rational. I am a goal setter and rarely has there ever been a goal I didn't *eventually* reach. So for me to seriously and actually "give up" is heartbreaking. I'm also abandoning my quest to lose 40 more pounds this year. It would be great if it happened, but I