Skip to main content

A Proposal Story and an Introduction to The Marathon Monster

Who is up for a two-fer! We've got a two in one today because I've obviously been slacking on the blog front and apparently there's a lot to talk about. So let's get started shall we?

Part One: A Proposal Story

I hear it's customary in our society to blog about your proposal if you're a blogger who happens to get engaged. So as not to be ousted from the community here you go. The Colonel knows me pretty well so he didn't bother with a lot of pomp and circumstance. I'd always told him I didn't even want a proposal. No fancy dinner, down on one knee, heartfelt awkward speech or any event/activity that cost too much money, involved other people or embarrassed me. At least I'm not specific right? I'm not much of a romantic. I'm so glad that he didn't get caught up in what he thought he was supposed to do and just made it real. Two Saturdays ago I had been at work all morning and came home hot, hungry, tired and incredibly grumpy. The Colonel sent me upstairs to take a nap because I'm sure he was rethinking this whole thing and an hour or so later I stumbled back downstairs awake enough but not really wanting to be up at all. He promptly went outside to his car as soon as I came down which was weird but not that weird since as you may or may not know, he is obsessed with his car. 



He came back in saying he had left his windows open and I accepted that. Still tired I settled in on the couch and asked him to hand me the iPad. When he did he added a "Take this too" and voila, there was a ring box. My first words, "What is this?" followed by opening the box and saying "How much did this cost?" As you can see, I'm quite the romantic. He asked me if that was a yes and I told him he hadn't actually asked anything. He laughed, I put it on and then proceeded to use the iPad...yep. It took me like a half hour to even call anyone. Not that I wasn't excited, I'm just not a gusher about this sort of stuff. So anyway, now you know the anti-climactic story :)





Part Two: The Marathon Monster

If I haven't mentioned it before, I'm running the Indianapolis Marathon on October 19 and it'll be my second full marathon although the first was a terrible experience and over 3 years ago. So it's kinda like my first all over again. The only difference is that now I'm aware of all those things no one tells you about that happen during training. Such as actual consideration of peeing yourself because you're too sore to want to go to the bathroom, calluses and blisters galore, some degree of constant hunger leading to the questioning (i.e. "You're eating again?" "Didn't you just eat something?"), and being able to fall asleep at any given moment in any given location. I'm so excited! Today one of my favorite lovely blogging ladies Swim Bike Mom is in the process of completing Ironman Coeur d'Alene and there's nothing like someone you "know" doing something amazing to really inspire you to do something yourself. I've been following her journey for months and can't believe it's actually here and I know it's wishful thinking but I hope I can give someone else that inspired, excited feeling that reading about her journey gave me. So off I go in my adventure and embrace The Marathon Monster. This morning I did my first "long" run of training and got through the 5 miles in 87 degree weather. That's a lie. It was only like 84...with 90% humidity. Welcome to the Ohio Valley. My new job keeps me on my feet and running around all day so my legs are already tired after a work day. Adding on running is going to be questionable but as our local professional triathlete Mike Hermanson who is also an emergency room RN once said, running on tired legs is the best training there is. On race day in a perfect world I'll be going out on rested light legs but by mile 16 I'll have to go 10.2 more on very tired ones so I might as well get ready now...right?

Comments

  1. ahhh - that's a cute story for your proposal... its what makes it personal. Not everyone needs to be gushy & flowers & cupids everywhere... sometimes simple is perfection :) Beautiful ring!

    I'll start wishing good luck now for your marathon - October will be here before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm way more excited/anxious/nervous about the marathon. It's going to take a whole lot more work!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Hate the Ironman

I figure it's about time to put this out there and I'm pretty sure if you know me really well, you won't be surprised by any of what I have to say. I've been having a lot of issues lately. I've been working hard with my counselor to determine who I really am and what brings me true joy in life and it's been surprising, frustrating, difficult, fun, exhausting, enlightening, exciting and hard....to sum it up in a few words. I spent some time in Puerto Rico back in March and finally got back into doing some writing while I was out there. It wasn't anything long and certainly not anything particularly newsworthy but it made me feel good. I enjoy writing. When I was young I used to write short fiction stories on my mom's computer whenever I had free time and though a lot of them remained unfinished, they were always fun for me and surprisingly effortless to compose. Blogging has never quite been the same as my true writing and I've been working hard t

Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure 10K Race Recap

Wow, what a title right? Although I also could have titled it the greatest race of my life. Wanna know why? Yeah I thought you might. The week leading up to the race wasn't a great one. Stress at work, general grumpiness etc. etc. etc. So I really wasn't expecting much as far as performance but I wanted to get a 10K in really badly before the marathon relay this Saturday so I thought What the hell and signed up. The atmosphere at Komen events is like none other. Pink everywhere and people....so...many...people. For someone who hates crowds (i.e. ME) there are few things that will lure me to a crowded place. Races just tend to be one of those things. Anyway, there was a great survivors parade and all kinds of booths and music and general funness. What there wasn't plenty of was parking. Which I guess is the norm for an event of this caliber. Survivors' Parade Great Ladies I never got the chance to meet... Seriously packed at the start! Autumn Alexis, The Colonel and I g

Lovin the Hills Race Report

Guess what I did this weekend??? I was a very good girl and asked my coach very nicely if I could please please please do the Lovin' the Hills 6 mile trail race and because he's the best he gave me the green light to participate . So, I did my very first trail race on Saturday! I'm not necessarily a stranger to trails but I definitely wouldn't say we're friends. Trail running goes on the same list as all of those really great athletes I "know" and am Facebook friends with and want to be able to be real friends with but I'm too intimidated to try. You know what I mean right? Anyway, I've run trails before and volunteered at many a trail race but I've never actually "raced" myself so this was going to be a fun new experience. The site wasn't far from my house and since I'd waited to sign up for various reasons, I didn't have to get up too too early to get there in time for race day registration. I drove to Jeffer