Skip to main content

No Meat Athlete Meets Louisville

BIG NEWS!

No Meat Athlete is now in Louisville! Well, kind of. Here's the story...

via
Sometime last week NMA posted on their Facebook page about their branded running groups that were developing all around the country (and the world) and it prompted me to check out Louisville's group. With Ironman already towards the front of my brain I'm making a big social push right now to force people into training with me without really training with me in hopes of making the experience as enjoyable as possible.

What I love about Matt Frazier (the original No Meat Athlete and kind of a genius btw) is the relaxed attitude he's able to convey around a plant-based diet. I have a really hard time as a vegetarian (and had an even harder and very brief time as a vegan) because there's a lot of attitude in our community. If you know me well, you know that for the most part I genuinely don't care what people want to do with their lives, especially when it has nothing to do with me. I don't like persuasion which is probably why I never did well in sales. My version of persuasion is based on fact and education. If you want to lose weight, I'll teach you how. If you want to eat less or no meat, I can teach you to do that too. But the thing is, people have to make decisions about their lives by themselves. End rant. No Meat Athlete is a place where you can ask the question, "So what do you eat?" and get real answers. No snark, no pictures of diseased cows and sad chickens, just education (and some really nice shirts).

I was really excited to meet (I actually typed "meat" initially. Probably a vegetarian faux pas...) other veg, veg-curious and veg-friendly runners, walkers and aspiring athletes in my very own city so I clicked over to the list of NMA branded running groups. Imagine my surprise when I didn't see Louisville on the list.

via

Since I can sometimes be a do-it-yourself-er I decided to dig a little deeper and emailed the almighty Matt Frazier himself. Surely there had to be people in Louisville working on this group already, maybe it just wasn't posted yet.

False.

Matt emailed me back and I totally geeked out and I read it calmly like an adult and said only one person had shown interest in a group in Louisville during his initial surveying so as of now there just wasn't a group. He made a great little PDF of how to get a group started in a city and some basic ideas to help guide things and I got to work reading it. I sent the initial email 8 days ago and as of today there is now an official No Meat Athlete - Louisville Facebook group with members other than myself and we are on the way to starting an official running group!

So here's where we are now...

Basically, I'm heading things up and have had 2 other people show interest in helping me get things started. The Facebook group has 8 members and I'm hoping for our first run to happen in November some time. I'm really excited about what's to come and I'm hoping YOU will help me out by spreading the word!

You do not have to be meat-free to join us, you just have to be open minded and preferably not a jerk with some interest in a meat-free (or meat-less...get it? eat less meat?) lifestyle. If you're already doing the Meatless Monday thing, come on out!

Now, more importantly, which shirt do I wear for the marathon next week? Pink or Blue?

I don't have an unobstructed picture of the pink one but the design is the same as the blue one
After last year's marathon.

Comments

  1. Good for you for starting this group!!!
    I always say PINK! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Hate the Ironman

I figure it's about time to put this out there and I'm pretty sure if you know me really well, you won't be surprised by any of what I have to say. I've been having a lot of issues lately. I've been working hard with my counselor to determine who I really am and what brings me true joy in life and it's been surprising, frustrating, difficult, fun, exhausting, enlightening, exciting and hard....to sum it up in a few words. I spent some time in Puerto Rico back in March and finally got back into doing some writing while I was out there. It wasn't anything long and certainly not anything particularly newsworthy but it made me feel good. I enjoy writing. When I was young I used to write short fiction stories on my mom's computer whenever I had free time and though a lot of them remained unfinished, they were always fun for me and surprisingly effortless to compose. Blogging has never quite been the same as my true writing and I've been working hard t

Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure 10K Race Recap

Wow, what a title right? Although I also could have titled it the greatest race of my life. Wanna know why? Yeah I thought you might. The week leading up to the race wasn't a great one. Stress at work, general grumpiness etc. etc. etc. So I really wasn't expecting much as far as performance but I wanted to get a 10K in really badly before the marathon relay this Saturday so I thought What the hell and signed up. The atmosphere at Komen events is like none other. Pink everywhere and people....so...many...people. For someone who hates crowds (i.e. ME) there are few things that will lure me to a crowded place. Races just tend to be one of those things. Anyway, there was a great survivors parade and all kinds of booths and music and general funness. What there wasn't plenty of was parking. Which I guess is the norm for an event of this caliber. Survivors' Parade Great Ladies I never got the chance to meet... Seriously packed at the start! Autumn Alexis, The Colonel and I g

Lovin the Hills Race Report

Guess what I did this weekend??? I was a very good girl and asked my coach very nicely if I could please please please do the Lovin' the Hills 6 mile trail race and because he's the best he gave me the green light to participate . So, I did my very first trail race on Saturday! I'm not necessarily a stranger to trails but I definitely wouldn't say we're friends. Trail running goes on the same list as all of those really great athletes I "know" and am Facebook friends with and want to be able to be real friends with but I'm too intimidated to try. You know what I mean right? Anyway, I've run trails before and volunteered at many a trail race but I've never actually "raced" myself so this was going to be a fun new experience. The site wasn't far from my house and since I'd waited to sign up for various reasons, I didn't have to get up too too early to get there in time for race day registration. I drove to Jeffer